English language never fails to amaze us! Here are ten more points to reinstate the fact that English is a weird yet interesting language to study!
- The most commonly used noun is ‘time’.
This is based on usage and is subject to change . The results are announced by Oxford Online after conducting a single study.
- The dot on ‘i’ and ‘j’ is called a tittle.
…And you thought there wasn’t a word for it!
- Over a thousand new words are added to the Oxford English Dictionary every year.
Yet, it becomes difficult for us to find the right word sometimes!
- The hypothetical word ‘Oxyphenbutazone’ is the highest scoring word in the word game Scrabble.
And you know what the best part is? No one has ever played this on the board – so you can be the first one to do that in your next game!
- The longest word without vowels is ‘twyndyllyng’.
Though the word is obsolete, it’s still in news! Another more common example is ‘rhythm’.
- The word with the highest number of definitions is ‘set’.
…464 definitions to be precise! Can you believe that?
- The word with all vowels in alphabetical order is ‘abstemious’.
- English language has borrowed its script from Latin and has no script of its own!
- The English speaking population in India is higher than that in United Kingdom!
India comes second overall, after U.S.A.
- The word ‘scraunched’ is the only word with one syllable.
It is the sound your makes when it moves on gravel.