It is holiday season in December and there is joy and festivity all around us. Not all of us may celebrate it, but it’s nice to be a part of the revelry and greet those who do.
Let’s learn the phrases that you can use this Christmas!
Commonly Used Greetings to wish others
- Merry Christmas!
- Have a joyful Christmas!
- Season’s Greetings (in writing)
- Happy Holidays!
- Happy New Year (December last week onwards)
How to respond when someone wishes you
- A: Wish you a Merry Christmas!
B: Wish you the same.
- A: Happy Holidays.
B: Same to you.
- A: Have a nice Christmas!
B: You too. See you after the holidays!
Questions for Christmas related Small Talk
- What are your plans for Christmas?
- Would you like to go to Riya’s Christmas Party?
- There’s a Christmas fair, would you like to come?
- Where are you going in the holidays?
- Who are you celebrating Christmas with?
- What gifts did you buy?
- Are you going to any New Year party?
- Did you see the beautiful decoration at the mall?
How to accept an invitation (to a party) or a gift
- That sounds fun!
- I’ll be there!
- Count me in!
- I won’t miss it for the world! (informal)
- That’s so sweet of you, thanks a lot!
- I love it, thank you!
How to decline an invitation
- I’d love to, but I already have plans.
- I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it. (informal)
- I’m sorry but I have to… (add excuse)
- I wish I could have, but I … (add excuse)
Be a part of the celebration and spread joy and cheer around.
Wish you a Merry Christmas!