Whatever we say or listen in our day to day lives has a meaning. Sometimes we use a group of words to express our feelings and when those group of words make sense and have a meaning morally they are called “Idioms”. Often we say “Actions speak louder than words” which means – a person can be judged only by his work rather than what he says. We have many similar Idioms.
- All that glitters is not gold – appearances are often deceptive than what they seem.
- Rome was not built in a day – all great works need patience.
- Where there is a will, there is a way – if we are determined to do something , how difficult it may be , we will find the way to achieve it.
- Best of both worlds – having all the advantages.
- Prevention is better than cure – taking measures before the problem arrives.
Every day we meet new people and some people have a habit of using Idioms in every conversation especially elderly people because they are more experienced than the youth.
Whenever I talk to my grandmother she says “Actions speak louder than words”, don’t just say instead take each and every step forward in the right direction to achieve your goal. She also says “Prevention is better than cure” and whenever she finds my brother sneezing she starts giving him medicines and takes care of him.
Read this also :
So in this way we use idioms and proverbs in our daily lives and now we can know the meanings as well by learning from Genlish.