The words that are spelled or pronounced the same way but have different meanings are called Homonyms.
All the words mentioned in the above sentences are explained below :
- Tom had to desert (abandon) his dessert (the sweet course eaten at the end of a meal) in the desert (any area in which few forms of life can exist because of lack of water,permanent frost, or absence of soil )
- How do I intimate ( To state or express indirectly) this to my intimate (close) friend?
- The bandage was wound (wrapped) around the wound (an injury).
- When shot at, the dove (bird) dove (plunge steeply downwards through the air) into the bushes.
- I had to subject (cause or force someone to undergo a particular experience) the subject (the person or thing that is being discussed or described) to a series of tests.