I am Latika, a writer at Genlish. I am here to share grammar and other language -related tips and tricks with you, to simplify the process of learning English.
Today I will be addressing a question almost all our students ask us: “How much time will it take to speak English?”
This will help you get a clear picture about how much time and effort you need to invest to learn English.
An average learner, who has some knowledge of the basics, can learn to speak English in three months. There may be other reasons to learn in such a short time span as well: job related needs, travelling and so on.
Is Learning English in Three Months Possible?
Yes, learning English in such a short span of time is possible. All you need is proper guidance and a lot of dedication. Here is what you need to do:
- Set concrete yet achievable targets.
- Define short as well as long term goals.
- Do NOT go easy on yourself.
Now that you know what you need, let’s see how you will use these:
First month: Build the Foundation
The first month is to brush up or lay the foundation of the language. By foundation, we mean, revise/ learn the basics. Make sure you know the grammar rules, can read and understand basic words and sentences.
- Start by learning what everyday things are called in English. Use vocabulary applications, dictionary, flash cards and sticky notes to learn and memorise these newly learnt words.
- Gradually move on to learning sentence structure by making basic sentences. Narrate your daily routine at the end of the day, or describe your day to day activities as you do them.
- Watch Youtube channels, music videos and movies with English subtitles to gain better understanding of the language.
- Speak about your favourite food/sport/book and so on to ensure maximum practice.
Second month: Immerse yourself in the language
The second month is to put all that you have learnt to practice. Go deeper into the process of learning English and surround yourself with language learning resources and reference material.
- Make a buddy: A buddy is someone you can converse in English with. At this stage, you need to speak the maximum, and that too about routine activities, so that talking to other people and making small talk becomes easier. You can also enrol with Genlish to learn with a personal trainer who will converse with you for maximum spoken English exposure.
- Follow blogs and other language learning websites to keep in touch with the basics. Do NOT memorise the rules, practice using them instead. This way you will not forget them easily.
Third month: Focus on your Goal
The third month is to consolidate your learning and focus on your goal for learning English (travel, interviews or exams…). Refer to diverse practice material to achieve your goal. Practice speaking English, and evaluate your performance.
Following the above guidelines can help you speak English faster – in just three months! Keep reading for more such interesting tips!